Netgear Firmware Update: Understand What, Why, and How!
With the advancement of technology, the WiFi devices we use - currently - become outdated. To cope up with the situation, either you may switch to a new WiFi device (Not feasible always!) or update it to the latest firmware version without burning a hole in your pocket spending on a new one. If you own a Netgear extender and can't download the latest Netgear Firmware update, then this piece of writing may prove a big help for you.
What is a Firmware Update?
Firmware is a set of instructions that are required for networking devices to efficiently perform the work they were deliberated for. To make it simple, it is the programming that is necessary to run the device in a flawless manner.
Why Do You Need Firmware Updates?
Well, before we make you understand the whole nitty-gritty of how to update Netgear firmware, first let's explain why there is a need for firmware updates.
Firmware contains the integral functions of a WiFi device and getting it updated to the latest version brings some changes in the performance of your device, which are much needed for making it proficient as well as for fixing bugs (if any!) for better security. With the update of firmware, you can enjoy:
- Advanced features without upgrading your WiFi device.
- New features (if added!) and enhanced user experience.
- Enhanced performance of your WiFi device.
- The use of your WiFi to an optimum level.
- Free repairs and bug fixes
Moving on, let's now get to know the process of updating firmware on a Netgear extender.
How to Update Netgear Extender Firmware?
Netgear releases firmware updates for its various extender models at regular intervals. You can check and download the latest update on your Netgear extender by following any of the methods given below:
- The most followed method to update your extender with the latest firmware is to log in to your Netgear extender by accessing the www.mywifiext.net login page. Once done, navigate to the settings and enable alerts for new firmware updates. This way, whenever a new firmware update appears for the extender model you have, you will automatically be notified about the same.
- Another way to update the Netgear WiFi extender firmware is to visit the official site of Netgear on an occasional basis and check for updates for your extender model.
- Netgear has also offered its users with an app to manage their WiFi right from anywhere. Thus, you can also use the Netgear Nighthawk app to update your WiFi device.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Updating a Firmware
It is important for users to keep certain things in mind before updating a new firmware version on their Netgear extender. These are as follows:
- Make sure you have properly completed the new extender setup before updating it.
- Check if you are getting the right update beforehand. The firmware must match the device model you have. If you get an update that is not matching the extender model you own, you may put your extender at serious risk to become non-working. Moreover, the wrong or improper firmware version can make your extender completely dead.
- Don't interrupt the process in between. For say, if you are downloading a new firmware version, you are suggested to put all your other tasks related to your WiFi on hold.
If you don't have much knowledge to deal with technical devices, don't think to commence the process on your own. Instead, approach a proficient expert for immediate assistance on getting a firmware update for your extender.
WiFi devices are experiencing frequent changes as the technology advancement process is never-ending. Companies, every now and then, introducing new products in the market to offer users with newer technologies and greater functionalities. But, if budget is your concern and you can't switch to a new WiFi device every time, then merely updating firmware on your current WiFi device can help you enjoy enhanced WiFi performance. So, get set and update Netgear firmware on your extender right away!