How to Setup a WiFi Extender?
WiFi range extenders are blessings for those who have a big house and are unable to use the internet in every corner of their houses. But, it has been observed that people often struggle to setup WiFi extender. Have you also joined the queue of the same people? If yes, then it is time to set yourself apart and learn how to set up an extender in the house for a super-fast internet connection. For your ease, we have provided the steps to set up the most popularly used range extender i.e. Netgear extender.
Use Manual Method for New Extender Setup
For Netgear WiFi extender setup steps, refer to the points given below. However, you must know that the steps given below will require an Ethernet cable. So, keep at least 2 Ethernet cables handy:
- First of all, switch off your router and let it rest.
- If your router was previously connected to another extender, then reset it.
- After that, connect the extender and router using a LAN cable.
- Switch on the router now.
- Connect your Netgear extender to a socket that lies near the main router and switch it on.
- Turn on your PC and connect it to the extender’s WiFi network i.e. Netgear_ext.
- The WiFi password of your extender is either password or the network is open.
- Open a web browser and type mywifiext.net or 192.168.1.250.
- You will see the New Extender Setup page.
Note: If you do not see the WiFi extender setup page, then there are chances that the IP of your extender has been changed due to the hardwired extender-router connection. So, to know the exact IP to access the setup page, log in to your main router and check the IP assigned to your extender.
- Click the New Extender Setup button and select Next.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Assign an admin password now and leave the User Name as admin.
- Select security questions and answer them.
- Click the No option on the next window stating that you can set up the extender by yourself.
- Your extender will now begin searching for local WiFi networks.
- Set the SSID and passwords for 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks.
- If you have a mesh extender, you will be asked if you want to keep the extender’s and router’s WiFi details the same.
- Now, reconnect your computer to the extender’s network using a new SSID and password.
- Go back to the browser now and select the checkbox at the bottom of the page.
- You have successfully setup WiFi extender.
Steps to Set Up WiFi Extender via WPS
You can also complete WiFi extender setup using the WPS method if your host router supports the WPS configuration. Read the steps given below to know:
- Keep the new WiFi extender in the same room as the main router.
- Switch on the router first and then the extender.
- Locate the WPS button on the extender and press it.
- Within a time frame of 2 minutes, press the WPS button on the router.
- In case the WPS button is not there on the router, log in to it and locate the WPS option.
- Click the option and let your devices connect.
Note: If you own a dual-band WiFi router, consider repeating the above-mentioned steps two times. First time for connecting 2.4GHz bands and the second time for connecting 5GHz bands.
How to Connect to WiFi Extender?
After completing WiFi extender setup, you can start using the internet. For this, you should know the steps to connect to the extended network. Here’s how to connect to WiFi extender network on an Android device:
- Tap the Wifi icon on your mobile phone.
- You will see the list of available networks.
- Select the one that belongs to your new extender.
- If you have a Netgear extender, the network will appear as NETGEAR_2GEXT or NETGEAR_5GEXT.
- Enter the WiFi password and tap Connect.
- You will get connected to your extender.
If you want to connect your computer or laptop to WiFi extender, then you are supposed to access the Network and Internet Settings and follow the instructions provided above.
Why is My WiFi Extender Not Working?
A lot of users have complained that their extenders do not work even after following the correct WiFi extender setup steps. If you too are finding yourself stuck in the same situation, read the tips given below:
- Power cycle the router and extender.
- Ensure that there is no fluctuation in power.
- Be sure that the firmware of your extender is the latest one.
- If every hack fails, go for Netgear WiFi extender reset.
How to Reset Netgear Extender?
Resetting the extender is the ultimate technique that can help you fix multiple extender-related issues at once. Given below are the steps that you must follow if you choose to proceed with Netgear extender reset:
- Plug in your range extender and let the Power light glow.
- Find the Factory Reset or Reset button on your extender.
- The button is generally located on the side or bottom panel inside a small hole.
- Using a straightened pin, press the button for 10-15 seconds.
- Let the Power LED get stable.
- Your WiFi extender is reset and ready for new extender setup.
Note: Performing a factory reset will erase all personalized settings like user name, password, network name (SSID), and security settings. Therefore, it is recommended to back up the extender settings via the Netgear Genie setup wizard. However, you won’t be able to do so if you cannot recover your extender’s admin password. In that case, go for the reset process directly. The Netgear WiFi extender reset process prepares your extender for a new installation.