How to Disable SSID Broadcast On Netgear EX7300 Extender?
Netgear EX7300 extender, by default, shows its network name - SSID so that other WiFi devices can easily detect the availability of the network and connect to it. While this could be a great option for public WiFi networks, it may not be liked by people using a personal home network as this can lead to WiFi leeches! Well, an easy way to stop unwanted people from accessing your network is to disable SSID broadcast or change it. This way you can prevent your Netgear EX7300 extender from broadcasting its Netgear_ext SSID to just about anyone. Here's how you can hide your extender's SSID broadcast and protect it from potential threats.
Disable SSID Broadcast to Hide Your Netgear EX7300 Extender Network
If you are planning to keep your extender's SSID hidden, then you are going to make a great decision. Not convinced?
Imagine a scenario! What if you unlock the door of your home when leaving for the market? This way you are going to give an invitation to burglars to walk into your house without even breaking the lock.
Similarly, by not hiding your WiFi network's SSID, you are allowing hackers to have access to your WiFi. FYI, a publicly revealed SSID can be sniffed by anyone and lead to penetrating the network. So, it is always a wise decision to disable SSID broadcast for preventing your network from potential threats.
We hope you now understand the importance of disabling SSID broadcasts. Moving on, do you know how to disable SSID broadcast? Well, here we've got your back! Below we are going to give detailed info on how to hide your Netgear EX7300 extender’s network by disabling its SSID.
Disabling SSID requires you to sign in to your extender as an administrator and connect your device to the network of the extender. So, bear that in mind before jumping ahead!
To Disable SSID Broadcast on Your EX7300 Range Extender:
Make sure your extender is configured in a proper manner is placed within the range of your WiFi router. If everything is all good, then proceed further.
- On your PC, open a web browser that is updated to the latest software version.
- Type mywifiext.net in the address field and press Enter. If you own a system that supports MAC or iOS operating system then use mywifiext.local instead.
Bonus: If any of the web addresses listed above are not allowing you to access the login page of your extender, consider using IP address.
- As soon as you enter the web/IP address into the URL field of your internet browser and press the Enter key, you will find yourself on the Netgear extender login page.
- You will now be requested to enter your username and password. So, enter the same into their respective fields.
- Thereafter, select the Log In option to land on the Netgear Genie smart setup wizard.
- This is the dashboard of your EX7300 extender from where you can tweak its various settings the way you want.
- Now, to disable SSID broadcast of your device, navigate to Settings > Wireless.
- This will reveal the WiFi settings page on your system’s screen.
- You will find that the ‘Broadcast this Network Name (SSID)’ option will be checked.
- If so, uncheck the option by selecting it.
- Lastly, select Save to allow the changes to come into effect.
Now, no matter whether you are using the internet on your smartphone or tablet, laptop or PC, the Service Set ID of your Netgear EX7300 will not broadcast anymore.
A Quick Tip: Just in case mywifiext does not allow you to access the login page of your EX7300, consider using http://192.168.1.250 as an alternate.
We hope this post saved you from getting leeched by helping you know how to disable SSID broadcast on the Netgear EX7300 WiFi range extender. Just in case, you are still getting no success with the process, ask our professionals to help you out.